Political Report 10.23.2019
Main Story: Appropriations Moving, but No Progress on Defense
There has been some movement in the Congressional appropriations’ process since our last report, but there is no indication that defense appropriations will see the light of day any time soon. This week, the Senate will pass a package of non-defense appropriations bills that will then be negotiated with the House. However, it’s unclear whether a deal will be made on critical issues around the border wall, making another continuing resolution for DoD a possibility.
Complicating things is the rising intensity of partisan disagreement over the House’s impeachment inquiry. On October 23, a group of House Republicans stormed the House Intelligence Committee’s SCIF, marking a new low of fighting between Democrats and Republicans around the House’s impeachment inquiry. While Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have a long established history of deal-making, their ability to manage potentially restive caucuses is being called into question. While a shutdown remains unlikely, the odds of appropriations being adopted prior to another continuing resolution are growing slimmer.
The House will pass legislation regarding corporate transparency.
The Senate will pass a four-bill minibus on non-defense appropriations.
Congressional Defense Activity
- 10/22 “Human Rights in South Asia: Views from the State Department and the Region,” Subcommittee on Asia, the Pacific, and Nonproliferation Hearing, 2172 Rayburn, 10am
- 10/22 “Protecting the Good Friday Agreement from Brexit,” Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, Energy, and the Environment, 2172 Rayburn, 2pm
- 10/23 “The Betrayal of our Syrian Kurdish Partners: How Will American Foreign Policy and Leadership Recover?,” Full Committee Hearing, 2172 Rayburn, 10am
- 10/23 “The Trump Administration’s FY 2020 Budget and U.S. Policy toward Latin America and the Caribbean,” Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, Civilian Security, and Trade, 2172 Rayburn, 2pm
- 10/23 “Successes and Unfinished Business in the Western Balkans,” Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation Hearing, SD-419 Dirksen, 230pm
- 10/23 “CLOSED: U.S. Navy’s ‘Spectrum of conflict’ Strategic Framework,” Subcommittee on Seapower Hearing, SVC-217 Capitol Visitor Center, 10am
- 10/24 “Nomination – Vice Admiral Charles A. Richard,” Full Committee Hearing, SD-G50 Dirksen, 930am
- 10/22 “Ship and Submarine Maintenance: Cost and Schedule Challenges,” Subcommittee on Readiness Hearing, 2118 Rayburn, 2pm
- No hearings this week
- No hearings this week